Every few months I get really lazy with meal planning and grocery shopping. Inevitably during those times we eat out alot and spend alot of money. After a few weeks of this irresponsible behavior I come back to my senses and renew my excitement for saving money at the grocery store.Before you say, "that's too much work" let me tell you what I do not do. I am not a super crazy coupon clipper. I do not frequent several stores in hunt for bargain basement prices. I do not make my family eat/use yucky products just because they are on sale.
Here's what I'm doing right now to keep my grocery budget in check:
* I subscribe to GroceryGame.com. For $10 each week, I can print out the deals at my favorite grocer (HEB). This list tells me what is on sale and which sale items are actually good deals (if you aren't aware, sales are often gimmicks and don't truly save you money). It also tells me which in store coupons to use (this is HUGE at HEB as they do not operate a shopping card for sales) and if you are a coupon clipper which newspaper coupons would work to get you the best price. I've never really gotten into newspaper coupons thought I've tried a few times. (The grocery game now offers a sub for WalMart where the list spells out all the price matches from local grocers if you are into that sort of thing.)
* Once I've printed out my sale list from grocerygame.com, I sit down to make my grocery list. I meal plan (usually 1 week at a time) based on what we like and what is on sale. This just makes sense to me. For example, this week there was a great "meal deal" with the purchase of a roast. Now, we love roast, but it is not always on the top of my head when I'm thinking of meals for the week. But I got a great deal on it and several other products because I decided to make it this week instead of next.
* A friend of mine told me about a great *free* website Money Saving Mom that teaches you how to work the system if you will at Walgreens and CVS. She also blogs manufacturers deals and other random deals.
* From Money Saving Mom I came across Deal Seeking Mom. Now this one I really like. She gives breakdowns for Target and WalMart among MANY other (non grocery)deals and tips. I love that these ladies spend so much of their time teaching others.
* I also make a trip to Sam's or Wal-Mart once every month or 2 for diapers, wipes, soap, cleaning products, etc.
I am by no means a grocery shopping money saving expert, but just want to encourage you that if you are not meal planning or educating yourself as to sale items you could be missing out on an easy way to save your family cash.
2 comments:
Thanks for the tips! I clip coupons, but then they just sit in the envelope...need to get better about actually using them.
I have used the websites giving tips on Walgreens rebates from time to time. It is great to get items free or even LESS than free if you use a coupon. There is also a 10% bonus if you request your rebate in the form of a WG gift card. It is easy to do these rebates because all of the forms are now online.
My church had a seminar on Strategic Grocery Shopping last month and I learned so much about coupons, BYGO, and meal planning. We shop at Publix (the best grocery store in the whole world!!) and they have lots of BYGO every week as well as price matching, and they take coupons from other grocery stores, and allow you to double up on coupons as well!! The first week Eric and I tried this, we saved $75 off a $150 purchase. Ever since then, we look forward to viewing the weekly ad and clipping coupons. It has saved us hundreds of dollars already!
Post a Comment