February 25, 2008

Mississippi Woman, Louisiana Man

Drew and I met at the University of Southern Mississippi my freshman year. He introduced me to crawfish in college. When we lived in Baton Rouge, we loved to go to the Chimes just off the campus of LSU to eat shrimp & corn bisque, crawfish etoufee, shrimp poboys, boudin balls, and fried alligator (him, not me). So now that we've been married 5 1/2 years, I am going to try cooking shrimp etoufee "from scratch." My friend, Cajun cooking sensation, Christa (Bruises & Bows) gave me this yummy recipe. Nothing's exact, just make it work for you.
SHRIMP ETOUFEE
1 lb shrimp (raw peeled frozen work fine)
1/4 cup parsley
1 stick butter
2 stalks celery
3 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
1 bunch green onions
1/2 green bell pepper
1/4 cup flour
~ 3 TBSP Tony's Instant Roux
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
Seasoning to taste (I used Tony's, Emeril's Bayou Blast, and black pepper)
Saute bell pepper, celery, white onion, 1/2 green onion, & garlic in butter until soft.
Add flour, instant roux & some seasoning
Stir in some broth to thin
Add tomatoes, parsley and remaining broth (to your desired thickness)
Add shrimp
Cook medium heat until shrimp are done.
Throw on remaining green onions
Serve over rice with french toast
Thanks, Christa, for helping me take my sweet husband "back home."

3 comments:

Christine said...

looks delicious! i will definitely have to try it myself. let me know how it goes. :)

Christa said...

OH! GIRL! I'm so PROUD of ya!!! I'm glad it came out good and you both enjoyed it (i'm assuming, since you are sharing the recipe with everyone! :) ha ha Anyways, keep up the good work, you are AWESOME!

The Smiths said...

You are awesome to be trying it. I don't get that fancy in my house so I much impressed with you (and Christa)!